Sunday, June 15, 2008

Down but not out and still not staying down

Depressive people need to wake up to the fact that if they shun away from others and reject help, they will only draw themselves deeper into the sick, sad, little world. I once was depressed to a state that nothing could possibly cheer me up. I was sick of being at the wrong end of things. Even now, I still feel I'm at the wrong end of things. But the difference is that I was snapped out of it. I used to think that I could just escape into my depression and if no one bothered me for a while I would get out of it. How wrong I was. I just became more and more depressed as I thought no one would care about me. I lost most of my friends and ended up all lonely. Depression really kicked up many notches when I felt alone. I'm sorry if some of you depressed people read about this and want to argue with the fact that I am not sympathetic to your cause. This worked for me and I hope it can work for some of you. Whenever I allowed myself to think that I would only get worse if I hung out with others, I really did become more depressed an pushed away some people who actually really cared for me. I lost some friends in the process and it only made matters worse. I have learnt my lessson. When I started to accept the fact that I was really wallowing in my own shit, then I realised my stupidity in rejecting help in the first place. Someone told me I should not be perpetually depressed. It woke me up and I never looked back. I now try my best to refrain from calling myself depressed.

What is the point of being depressed? We all know that it is an unavoidable situation. When shit happens, even to the best of us, we get sad. We feel rejected. Those are normal. Its when we start to think that our failure is a special case that we decided to buy the train ticket for the depressive train ride. The walk from the entrance of the train station to the ticket counter is the most crucial, cause once you're aboard the train, it's almost impossible to turn back. You would need to run past all the others who are trying to board the train and then you'd have to jump the counter. I believe in the choices we make. If I had continued to stay depressed for the extended periods I would not have seen some of the things I see now. I still become depressed nowadays, if not everyday. I'm still on the road to recovery. Every day, there is something to make me sad. People who don't agree, people who just want to fight it out with you, or just some rude person. If I had a timer, I would hope I can stop my sadness within the 1st 15 minutes. I'm realistic. 15 minutes is hopefully enough. I don't agree with the fact that we get out of the wrong side of the bed. That's just buying an advanced train ticket.

I'm sorry to those who don't agree. We all have different formulas for success. This is mine. I force myself to stay positive for extended periods because I'm simply too good at spotting the negativity in things. People call me a pessimist for not seeing the lighter side of things. But I believe I'm not yet an optimist but I definitely enjoy being the realist that I am. I seem the function better and stay happier longer. Until I find a better formula, this works for me but I'm not going to stay put on this set of rules. I will continually seek better formulas because life is too short to park my ass so early.

No comments: