Monday, July 7, 2008

Working the shifts

Do you always take the train at the same time every morning to work? You would actually occassionally see the same guy seat opposite you, right? Creepy. After an extended period, you'd both actually realise that your lives are so intertwined yet due to the lack of communication, you can't even bring a smile forward. I was so used to seeing the same people every morning on my way to work that I would purposefully change train cabins in order to mix up my environments.

Now, I'm on a different shift. I tell you, the people who go to work a little later are surprisingly better-looking than the early birds. I mean, they are actually lookable and less likely to create an incident than the pre-sunlight crowd. Maybe it's because the vampires are made up of students who don't really want to go to school (and look really young and disinterested in life) and others who go to office early so that the late people can get the sunshine to make themselves more radiant. Yes, they look more radiant. Yes, they look prettier. Unlike the vampires which force you to go into a state of non-sleeping sleep in order to avoid the glare when they supposedly expect you to give up your seat to them even though they look perfectly capable to stand for the 20 minutes or so.

Alas, although the positives are there in the eye-candy. Going early means sacrificing a break for my legs. My trip is not 20 minutes unlike some "deserving" train riders. And my day does not include sitting for more than an hour. If you are fit enough to stand and your job requires you to sit 80% of the time or roll from point A to point B, spare a thought for others. There are many of us who'd rather not have eye candy and rest our legs. Stop the staring and glaring. If it's not your turn to sit, so be it. I won't stare at you if I were in your position.

No comments: